Tuesday, March 24, 2009

the last of the mohicans

The Christian Book Expo was this past weekend in Dallas and I wish I could have gone south for some sunshine and good books. I chuckled at one of the workshop titles, "Why It Takes So Long For A Book To Be Published." Baker Books was there with lots of great titles and a good many authors. But I heard attendance was down which is a big disappointment. Perhaps a sign of the times. Apparantly there are lots of changes occurring within the publishing world but being so new at this I don't know much about them. I do think people will always buy books, no matter the state of the economy. I'm living proof!

Interestingly, while everything else seems to be going south, ticket sales to movies have increased almost 20% this year. I think people must want an escape so they go to the movies or buy books. Personally I'm not a movie fan and can't remember the last time I went to the theater. But once upon a time, in the hot, dusty rodeo-type town of Yakima, Washington, I saw the movie, The Last of the Mohicans 9 times! Nine nights in a row, I think! Suffice it to say, this was not one of the happiest times in my life and I needed an escape. I still love the movie and listen to the soundtrack when I walk. It is frontier fare at its finest - handsome hero, strong, beautiful heroine, treacherous Indians, intrepid woodsmen, and a cliffside scene that is so hauntingly beautiful you just might have to see it nine times!

I hope to stop by the Christian bookstore in Sequim tomorrow and buy Susan Meissner's award-winning, The Shape of Mercy. Add it to your list! I hear it's a great escape:) If you have a good book you think I need to read, or a movie to see, please share it here. I'd love to add it to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment