Sunday, March 8, 2009

bookmarks and book clubs

Do any of you readers belong to a book club? Would you be interested in reading The Frontiersman's Daughter as a group? If so, I would love to join your club via conference call and talk books! I was thinking today how much I'd love to be a part of a book club which has for many years been something of a dream of mine. And now I might, Lord willing, be able to do some book club hopping at last!

I've been working on a reader's guide for book clubs interested in Lael's story. Developing the questions is really a great deal of fun but requires a lot of thought to be thought-provoking to the reader. My publisher will be posting these discussion questions on their site in future so I'm busy thinking of engaging material.

I think I've said in an earlier post how much I like bookmarks. I collect them and enjoy giving them as gifts. My publisher has just confirmed that they'll be sending me a BIG BOX of bookmarks and postcards prior to The Frontiersman's Daughter's release. Only 145 more days! That may sound like a long time but I began this blog last April and that was a long time from release date! Now it seems right around the corner close and I'm thankful.

So if you love books, are a member of a book club, or simply want to receive a bookmark and postcard from me prior to The Frontiersman's Daughter's release, I would love to get that to you. Just email me at laurafrantz61@yahoo.com and leave your name and mailing address. Your info will be confidential, of course. This will also enter you in the drawing for a free copy of the book come August and some unique Kentucky gifts (not grits!).

Come to think of it, I might start a book club myself. How does Joyce Bible Church Book Club sound? If you belong to a book club I'd love to hear ideas of how they're established and kept going. Also, would love to hear what books you readers are reading!

Bless you!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura,

    Been meaning to post a comment for ages -- guess you could say that this blog entry is what finally boosted me out of the gate. ;)

    Here's a book club that I've known about for years, when it was only *one* chapter, in a little town called Jefferson TX. But now I think they have chapters in thirty or so states. They're very serious about reading and promoting literacy, but once you read the blog and the founder's website, I think you'll agree that if you arrive frowning, you'll leave laughing -- and maybe even wearing a tiara. :)

    The Pulpwood Queens
    Kathy L. Patrick, Founder of the Pulpwood Queens and author of "The Pulpwood Queens' Tiara Wearing, Book Sharing Guide to Life"
    www.pulpwoodqueen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arlene,
    Leave it to you to know about this little gem of a book club!I like the way she promotes literacy, tiara and all. Impressive that it's grown so BIG. Although my dial-up is suffering indigestion today, I did make it to her site and learned a few things. Her book is getting good reviews. I'll be looking for a pink tiara now:)
    Glad you checked in. By the way, I've been over to your blog and like what I saw only I'm giving you a deadline to update ASAP! I'm even a subscriber now.
    Missing your editorial skills,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura. Great to catch up on the goings on in the northern woods - bald boys and tacos for supper and angel eggs for breakfast and all. It is fun to talk to book clubs. I don't have the opportunity do it nearly as often as I would like to, but book club people are my kind of people. Good luck with your pages. Hope the story is making you smile or maybe wipe away a tear in all the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann,
    Always good to hear from you as I know you are buried in a good book yourself - your own! I finished the pages today and they were a delight after all the hard work on the galleys. Yes, the past month has been a busy one and I'm trying to catch up on work and blogging adn all the rest. I am going to be stopping by your website again soon! Your posts on book clubs are inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete