Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day musing's

Today is Memorial Day and it is raining in Washington state like it does on this day every year. But somehow the rain seems fitting as this is a serious day, not the sunny, hot dog cramming food fest we've made it out to be. As I research this third book, set in the Revolutionary War period, I have been stunned by how little I know about the war itself and the people who fought and died so that we can have a national barbecue. I'm ashamed that my children are not very savvy about what this day means, other than they don't have to homeschool and Dad doesn't go to work.

That said, this is one of my favorite quotes by George Washington, who is the embodiment of Memorial Day for me:

"By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability and expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, altho' death was levelling my companions on every side."

Two inspiring books about this time period are:
George Washington's Sacred Fire by Peter A. Lilback
From Sea to Shining Sea by James Alexander Thom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    I've come over to return your visit, and have been reading through your blog posts. Congratulations on your contract and getting that manuscript in on time! I love reading 18C novels and will be looking forward to yours.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    I'll be praying for you in your writing journey. You are right where I was not so long ago. Thank you for checking in! I really love your blog.

    ReplyDelete