Monday, May 4, 2009

growth

Have you ever prayed the "growth" prayer? It's about as dangerous as praying for patience! It's a bold prayer. I think of the Psalm that says, "You made me bold with strength in my soul." (138:3) Think of all the bold Biblical characters like Joshua, David, Paul, John. The Lord must love them because He filled a book with them.

Sometimes I'm sad when I look at my sons and remember how sweet it was to hold them or collect all those baby teeth. But then I think how boring it would be to still be doing that 12 years later. Now I'm passing out allowance and cooking for a crowd. That's the great thing about kids - they're always changing. Sometimes they get up in the morning and they look different to me. They've grown in the night! When I left for Oregon a couple of weeks ago, Wyatt was shorter than I was and when I returned he was exactly 5'6. Now he's about to pass me. Must be all those garlic cheese grits!

I think God is pleased, maybe even delighted, when we want to grow. Sometimes I think He lets us get so bored and dissatisfied with ourselves that we get bold enough to pray the growth prayer. I did this three years ago and look what happened! I think I had to get desperate enough to be willing to endure what those extra inches would require of me. I bought this little rock with that magic word on it and set it on top of my manuscript. Every time I see it I am reminded of my prayer and how it was answered. And how much it hurt! Life is not boring. Every day brings a new hurdle. When I feel overwhelmed I thank Him for the challenges, knowing He's right there with me.

We grow old. We grow tired. We grow rich or poor or wise. I like the spiritual kind of growth. Maybe you're in a spring-like season of new growth. It may be wonderful or uncomfortable but He goes with you. Growth is good.

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore.
-Andre Gide, 1869-1951

4 comments:

  1. So true! Great thoughts, Laura! and I really like the quote you added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, Lisa! Sometimes it's hard for me to grow, personally, as I am often uncomfortable with change. The quote puts a positive slant on things and I like it, too. I know you're growing with all your beautiful kids, sewing, cooking and all the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Chris. You should know - you are the epitome of growth being a missionary!

    ReplyDelete