Sunday, May 3, 2009

book baskets and other necessities

I think I've found a creative way to store books - in baskets! I love these braided/rag baskets but the willow baskets are nice, too. Much better than stacks of books like I've been doing. I may not have bookshelves but I have book baskets! They go with the quilts on the walls and all that Kentuckiana stuff. Come to think of it, a book basket would be a wonderful gift for someone - just tuck a pretty bookmark in and maybe some tea or coffee along with your favorite books. Looking at my baskets (there are more you can't see!), I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Beecher:

Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?
-Henry Ward Beecher 1813-1887


It was a bit of a wild weekend. Yesterday was Derby Day and we actually attended a surprise birthday party for a former female jockey. She lives here now but used to gallop at Pimlico and other tracks. The party was actually in - surprise! - a big horse barn. There are some interesting people hiding out in the Washington woods. After that we went and picked up our latest four-legged friend - a little black kitty with a tiny patch of white on her chest. The boys can't decide what to name her. If you have any cat names we'd sure love to hear them. I feel very uncreative in that area.

I am really missing the creative side of writing.For the moment I am deep in July of 1779 on book 3 and taking a brief hiatus from book 2 till I figure out what I need to do for revisions. I never realized how many times you may have to revise a book before it becomes a book. Writing was all play to me till I learned this secret. I actually believed that when a writer submitted a book that it went to the printer's with hardly a hiccup in between!

Hope your weekend was a good one. I sure enjoy hearing from my readers. Thank you to those who want bookmarks and postcards! I can't wait to send them out very soon!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm a huge sucker for a bookstore! Drives my husband crazy, he just doesn't get it! I could spend hours wandering around.
    I use baskets for books too (and shelves).
    Our cat's name is Diego. probably not a good name for a female though. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband isn't a reader and he doesn't get it either! Funny thing is, folks ask him if he's read my book. And you know what he say's - NOPE.
    Diego is a good name. My aunt suggested Domino which is very clever for a black and white cat. She is so cute. I'll try to post a pic!

    ReplyDelete