Saturday, September 6, 2008

S-T-R-E-T-C-H me

Lately I feel like I've prayed the "stretch me" prayer. This is kind of like praying for patience - don't do it! But I think it's a prayer that must delight His heart. And I know from personal experience it's one prayer He will answer.

I just saw a quote that made me cringe, "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space." Now, I'm not sure how that translates to the Christian life except to say that it might be the stretch me prayer in secular form. Sort of like saying, "Lord, I'm taking up too much space. Let me live on the edge."

I dare you to pray this. Then pray for a Paul-like faith!

In the wonderful Sunday school class I'm a part of (a dozen or so women, 3 of whom are in their 90's!), we are studying three types of prayers:

1. Search me
2. Stretch me
3. Lead me

I am stuck on number 2 for some reason. Perhaps because it best mirrors what is happening in my life. We are all stretched in different ways at different times. I like to stay within the parameters of my comfort zone and resist any sort of change that pushes me past it. Yet I've always wanted to be one of those people that scale Mt. Everest in a blizzard. This writing thing is sort of like that for me. I bet you are having a Mt. Everest experience of your own.

Thank heavens we have help. Psalm 139 is such a comfort to me. I memorized it with my mom when I was a girl and although I can't recite it like I once did, certain parts still come to mind.

Search me, O God, and know my heart,
Try me (stretch me?) and know my anxious thoughts,
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.
v. 23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment