Monday, September 1, 2008

labor day blessings

Today was one of those easy days to count blessings. The sun was shining and we actually used that shiny cedar deck that overlooks our garden and wildflowers and small orchard. Wish I could post a picture but it's better if you imagine it. Wyatt went fishing with friends at a pond down the road and caught a trout and a bass while Paul and Randy worked on manly things like fence posts and changing tires on an old truck. I bet you can't guess what I was doing:)

Our favorite part of the day was sitting down together to eat. When the garden is in, meals are so much easier. The menu was simple - grilled pork, garlic cheese grits, fresh green beans and new potatoes from the garden, and fried apples.

I love books that are full of food. Jan Karon in her very wonderful Mitford Series does a masterful job of bringing food to life in her novels. I've never been a fan of orange marmalade but after reading about Esther Bolick's orange marmalade cake, I'm a believer. In my frontier novels it is hard to elaborate on food as these early settlers sometimes had barely enough cornmeal to cobble a corncake together. But I did recently find a very intriguing 18th-century recipe for roasted beaver tail, and yep, it went into the book!

One of my boys asked me if we'll eat in heaven. I thought of the verse in Luke when Jesus says "and just as my Father has granted Me a kingdom, I grant you that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom..." Being hungry boys, I didn't have the heart to tell them that this might mean a spiritual feast and not garlic cheese grits.

Hope your day was full of blessings wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment