Saturday, November 8, 2008

quilts


Today was quilt-hanging day at our house. Randy doesn't share my enthusiasm for displaying beautiful quilts on walls so he's managed to avoid this little assignment since August but today the pouring rain drove him to pound a few nails and put up another quilt rack. He thinks quilts are for beds only! But they look so lovely hanging up.

All of our quilts are gifts save one. My favorite is a wedding present from a dear older friend and artist who created 12 quilt squares for me, then appliqued and embroidered Washington state wildflowers with many different fabrics and colors onto each square. Amazing! She was supposed to create 16 squares but ran out of time if not flowers. This one is hanging in our living room along with two other quilts. I know it would win some award at a county fair! In one corner she stitched my name with a heart and I was supposed to stitch Randy's in when I married him but after fourteen years it is still blank. I can't sew:)

When I spent the day at Fort Boonesborough in Kentucky this past August, one of the blockhouses displayed a very old Boone quilt behind glass. One of Daniel Boone's nieces or some other close kin was married and the Boone women made the bride a beautiful quilt. Each family member stitched their name on a square. Plenty of quilts covered those cornhusk ticks and was considered a very necessary gift. They would have been scandalized to see me hanging them from walls. Doing so might have branded me a loose (and impractical) woman!

So today I had a quilt hung in the kitchen/dining area. I can see it as I write this and it makes me smile. It's small as quilts go and has a cream background with lots of lovely fall leaves across it - browns, burgundys, greens and golds. Very autumn-like.

Quilts and shoes and good books are my weakness. And oh, check out those new Caramel Macchiato Biscotti at Starbucks! Divine. I can't pronounce it but I can sure eat them. God's gift to get me through another rainy winter, truly! I'm so thankful. And I'm not being irreverent. I mean every word. Try one yourself.

There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and tell himself that his labor is good. This also I have seen that it is from the hand of God.
Ecclesiastes 2:24

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I love quilts as well although have none hanging in my house and wish I did! I know all of yours are so pretty and I remember one big one hanging somewhere when we visited several years back. We have had no rain here...........just some nice sunny fall weather. I wish we could swap weather as needed, ha! Janice and Dave just left this morning after going out with them to breakfast. Enjoyed their visit. Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda,
    Would love some of your fall weather. Guess I need these quilts with all our cold and wet here! Glad you spent time with Janice and Dave. Wish we all lived closer. Thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete