Tuesday, November 11, 2008

busy tuesday


First thing I thought of this morning was my brother and his family leaving Ecuador today. Because of the time difference between there and here (only 3 hours, surprisingly) they were well into the air when I woke up. They change planes 3 times before finally flying into Dayton, Ohio tonight. I know they will be thankful and very tired.

Because it's Veteran's Day we don't have school. As I get older this day means more and more to me as I look at history and study the Revolutionary War and realize all we've gained because of other's courage, vision, and daring. I really prefer the old-fashioned title of Armmistice Day but am not sure when it changed or why. I hope all veterans feel honored and appreciated today.

Today is also the big meeting when my publisher talks about that summer line of books. This month marks my one year anniversary with Baker Books/Revell! Their acquisitions editor contacted me on November 27th and asked to see The Frontiersman's Daughter, then titled Dogwood Winter. I remember the date so well because it was Wyatt's 11th birthday and I was too excited and sick to eat that Baskin Robbin's cake. So glad I'm here now instead of back there:)

So which of my books do I like best? Hmmm. I think that question is a little like asking which of your children is your favorite. I love all of them for different reasons. But I have to admit that if I could be any one of my protagonists, or heroines, it would be my Red River Daughter. But you'll just have to read it to find out why:)

You can cover a great deal of country in books. -Andrew Long

For people who like that kind of book - that is the kind of book they will like. -Abraham Lincoln, on being asked for an opinion


Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore? -H.W. Beecher

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I pray that Chris and family arrive safely back in Ohio today and know they have mixed feelings with leaving Ecuador..........hopefully more good feelings than bad. They are now off to a new start and I bet they are all looking forward to a change. We will get to see them soon in Gatlinburg. :) My kids are out of school today also for Veteran's Day.........friends are already over here hanging out and such. We are busy as usual and I work the next 3 nights. No job set in stone yet for Mark but will let you know when it is. Have a great day and hello to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Laura. Enjoyed seeing your brother and his beautiful family. I admire people who can pick up and move without clinging to the ground and yelling "No" the way I would do. So glad your writing is going well. I'm dragging my feet on starting my next book. But it would be good to be 100 pages in like you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ann and Rhonda! I appreciate your comments so much. We all have so much to be thankful for this time of year - good books, good family, and friends!

    ReplyDelete