Monday, September 7, 2009

listening

A few months ago I finished a book and was feeling pretty self-satisfied when I began to sense that it wasn't going to fly as written. In fact, during the writing of the book I had the distinct impression that I should add a character. But I ignored it to my detriment. Adding characters when the book is finished is quite complicated! I didn't want to add anything. The book was done, polished and ready to go, or so I thought. But the feeling wouldn't go away so I created someone new and worked him into the plot. But he didn't suit me so I took him out! Three times!! Yes, crazy as it sounds, I kept putting him in and then taking him out which was a little like surgery as I had to keep stitching up the novel and trying to figure out if pre-op or post-op was better. In the end I kept the character.

Now I believe that writing is a gift and your ideas aren't your own. I pray about each project and really feel the Lord gives me the heart and passion to write each and every book. It's His book first, mine second. My job is to listen to Him. So...about a month ago, on this current manuscript I'm loving so much, I had the distinct impression, once again, to add a character. A child. OH NO! The book was 2/3's complete and I really, really liked it as it was. This time I didn't fight it. But I did negotiate:)

Okay, so I had to add a child. But this was complicated as children are so cute and demand lots of attention and dialogue and other shenanigans. How on earth? But then the idea came to me - make her mute. That sure made me smile:) So now I have this amazing, five year old, mute little girl who softens my hero, captures my protagonist's heart, and adds a certain mystery to the novel as a whole. And the book is better for it.

I'm ashamed to say the Lord sometimes has to shout at me to get my attention. But I much prefer His whisper. I love that He speaks to us through His word, Scripture. How has He spoken to you recently? Or in the past? Is there a moment that stands out to you when you knew unmistakeably that it was His voice? What was your response?

10 comments:

  1. Laura, I love your listening heart! And I laugh when I hear about your negotiation! And He worked with you! Isn't it wonderful to be so connected to the Source? "Alive" is the word that comes to mind. Your blog is very entertaining and thank you for not keeping us waiting for too long in between your posts. Can't wait for the next book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna,
    It delights me to think you are out there reading my rambles! Please pray that my listening heart will stay tuned to Him. He's such a gentleman, thus the negotiations:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura! Maybe the character you added and removed three times was trying to tell you he wants a book of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some lessons can be so difficult to learn. I enjoyed hearing about your wavering on book two, which led to your obedience on book three.

    One day while sitting in church, I heard the still small voice of the Lord tell me that publication would come in His time. How freeing that has been. I'm able to enjoy the journey and leave the outcome to Him. He knows far better than I what's best for me, and I endeavor to trust Him in this area of my life as I have others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind of like Captain Jack! I'm chuckling at your comment but it may hold more truth than you or I think:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keli,
    Your listening and tucking that promise away led to your having joy on the journey in a big way! Wow - how I wish I had trusted His timing now when I look back. How sweet that He gave you that, probably at a moment when you needed it most. I have no doubt whatsoever that its fulfillment is drawing near.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now with this sneak peak at your latest work, I can't wait to read it. If it's as good as TFD, you'll have another winner on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, I can identify with writing and Him leading to "insert" something/someone that you didn't expect. I had "plans" for a particular character in my next book, but something kept tugging to do it in the current book I'm writing. I kept putting it off as the timing was right to introduce them. Finally it felt as if He were saying, "Put them in NOW!". When I did, it all started to fall together with what I felt He has planned for the next book without my realizing it. Gotta love how He works!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dana,
    I thought of you as I wrote this post as your blog details the same things right now:) Love how you emphasized how obeying makes everything fall into place, even if we can't see it at the time! He really does see things from start to finish. Thank heavens we're working for him:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bobbi,
    I hope you like books 2 and 3 as much. Considering you are a Kentuckian, writer, and historian yourself, I take your words as quite a compliment:) Can't wait to meet you at the book fair!

    ReplyDelete