Wednesday, June 1, 2011

heart full of God

I've been reading George Whitefield's journals when he was a young man and sailed from England to America for the first time. Thought I'd share with you some of the timeless treasures therein...

Sunday, January 15, 1738
The weather was cold, and the wind blew very hard; but when the heart is full of God, outward things affect it little.

Wednesday, January 18, 1738
Had great comfort in reading the Scriptures. Was afterwards a little inclined to heaviness, but drove it off by a long intercession. Prayer is an antidote against every evil.

Thursday, January 26, 1738
Thanks be to God for His strengthening grace! As our day is, so shall our strength be.

Sunday, March 5, 1738
I am never better than when I am on the full stretch for God.

I got more true knowledge from reading the Book of God in one month, than I could ever have acquired from all the writings of men.